What are the advantages of establishing and expanding the
Crown Heights North Historic District? *
- Historic districts protect the investments of owners and residents. Buyers know that the aspects that make Crown Heights attractive will be protected over a period of time. Real estate agents in NYC use historic district status as a marketing tool to sell properties.
- Historic districts encourage better design. It has been shown through comparative studies that there is a greater sense of relatedness, more innovative use of materials, and greater public appeal within historic districts than in areas without historic designations. New construction in Crown Heights North will have to blend in with the existing.
- Historic districts help the environment. Reusing historic buildings is much more green than tearing them down and building new. Historic district revitalization can, and should, be part of a comprehensive environmental policy.
- The educational benefits of creating historic districts are the same as those derived from any historic preservation effort. This district will explain the development of Crown Heights, the source of inspiration, and technological advances. It is a record of our community and ourselves.
- A historic district can result in a positive economic impact from tourism. A historic district that is aesthetically cohesive and well promoted can be a community's most important attraction. The retention of historic areas as a way to attract tourist dollars makes good economic sense. Crown Heights can become a popular destination for tourists interested in the development of Brooklyn.
- The protection of local historic districts can enhance business recruitment potential. Companies continually re-locate to communities that offer their workers a higher quality of life, which is greatly enhanced by successful local preservation programs and stable historic districts.
*Adapted from the National Trust For Historic Preservation website.